Sunday, March 23, 2008

Blog Privacy Settings

I love it how we can set our individual blogs to be accessible by certain levels of people, or by individuals, but there's a problem I have with it. Say I have all my blogs on their respective security settings... then one day, someone wants to harass or spam me. They probably don't have a life, so they'll go through posting lots of vulgar comments on all the blogs that they can see, which is most of them since I almost always post to "Everyone."

As great as Customer Service is, they don't handle all reports instantly 24/7 (but that's another feature I'd like to recommmend.) That's why I think we should be able to click "Customize My Site," then click "Edit" on the blog module, then set an access level to get into the module where the blogs are listed at, much like can be done with the contacts module (among others) now.

Ideally, this would not change the individual settings on each blog.

Hypothetically, let's say I had a blog about how I hate my job set to all my contacts but business associates, a blog set just to family about a family reunion, a blog about my trip to the beach set to contacts, and a post about Multiply's recent nomination for best blogging host set to network, plus a bunch of inconsequential stuff for everyone.

Then someone comes along who keeps creating accounts and attacking. Lock down to "Contacts," then only they can see my blog registry.

Another reason I find this would be good was for vacations, or periods when someone wants to change all their blogs. The best reason for this, though, is when someone is blocked and just signs out to read things set to "Everyone." Temporarly changing the settings to "Network" until that person bores would be a profound help.

-Ze Baron

No comments: