Sunday, March 23, 2008

Privacy Option: Signed-In

I am interested in a privacy option that's a little more lenient than "Network" and more protected than "Everyone." After pondering this almost every time I post a blog, I came up with the perfect security option. If, besides Everyone, Network, Contacts, Individuals, and Advanced, we could have a new option, which I call "Signed-In"

That's an admittedly dumb name, but it expresses the premise I'm trying to get across. Network is limited to your contact's-contact's-contact's, I believe. Everyone is, naturally, everyone with internet access.

What bothers me (and a lot of other users, I'd bet) is that the Google Spider and the Yahoo! Slurp, which are their respective owners' web crawlers, index our pages that are set to everyone. I hate seeing many, many pages of stuff from my site show up when I search my page out.

I also hate it when I block someone and all they have to do is sign out to view my page set to "Everyone." Aside from stopping them from commenting, that defeats the purpose.

The Signed-In setting would make the content set to this setting available only to those people who are signed in to an ID. That would, first and foremost, defer the crawlers and secondly stop people who aren't absolutely bent on attacking a specific person. It would even prevent people from signing out so that they don't show up on Multiply's page history bar at the bottom of most pages.

This is a feature I would set all my posts and modules and everything to... my entire page, if it were possible.

-Ze Baron

No comments: