Friday, February 29, 2008

ONLINE STATUS in MINI PROFILES

Hmm... this is something I don't know what to make of.

Below a user's headshot on their page, it shows "Online Now" or "Last Log In MM DD."

I never really thought of this as much of a problem. I think Y!360 had something like this but it was hardly ever right. On Multiply, here, I never worried about the feature. Somewhere while I was looking at Multiply information, I came across a piece of CSS code that took the "Online Now" thing off of my page, so I figured why not and went ahead and added that.

Now I noticed on the Official Multiply Blog that the online status is now available in mini-profiles. Frankly, this didn't bother me either since it didn't bother me before. Reading the comments, a lot of people seemed perturbed at this. Some people even insisted it was an invasion of privacy.

I think an invasion of privacy would be having CCTV hooked up to the FBI in my living room, not my friends knowing if I'm online or not. When I post this blog, it is safe for you all to assume that I'm online. When I post a comment, or a PM, I'm online. If someone is going to attack you or spam you, they'll do it irregardless of your online status.

I think it's a frivolous feature in the first place, but for people to start such a brouhaha over it makes me chuckle. I guess it would be nice to have an option to turn that on or off, or at least an "Invisible" bypass option.

Anyway, judge for yourself, and let us know your opinion (here and at the staff blog.)

-Ze Baron

Link (Again)
http://multiply.multiply.com/journal/item/217/

No comments: