Friday, January 11, 2008

NEW AND IMPROVED: UPDATES 1/11/08

Well, today as I was browsing Multiply, I noticed there was a banner across the top warning me new software was going to be implimented and that Multiply would be off line. Yipee! I finished what I was doing, then left the Multiply servers to check my email while things transgressed. Here I am, about two hours later (I was watching Walker, Texas Ranger, not checking email) and the features have been installed!

For full coverage on the new updates, please click here.

Please be forewarned that we at Refugees will not be fielding questions in this blog about the updates, but we will continue to help you with techinal problems. I would ask that no comments be made here asking about the new features. If you have a question about the updates, post that here. If you have a techinal question, post that here.

The new features include:
  • Faster photo album browsing
  • Group admin content control
  • Quicker replies
  • Guestbook pages
  • New Email Alert Formats
I'm not going to talk about the features themselves, rather, how they impact you as a blogger and member of this group.

Group admin content control means that the admin can choose which modules are accessible to group members. So far, I've only done that to one module -- blogs. As the group grows and develops, I'll be adding important content, like tutorials, information, and various other important announcements in the blog feature. I understand that many of you were using the blog as an announcement area, as I had requested, but unfortunately, too many questions were being placed in blogs. Now, those are all going to be posted in the Q & A, as I'd requested before.

If you'd noticed, using the reply option is almost instantaneous. If you don't know how to use the quote thing, here's how:


This is a comment I made on my friend's blog. If you click edit, then you can edit your original comment. If you click delete, then your comment goes bye-bye. If you click "reply," then you can reply to the original comment. You can reply to anyone's comments. You can only, however, delete your comments, or comments on your page or your thread, or in your group.

Normally when you would go from your main page to your guestbook, you would have to load all the comments. Sometimes that's 1000, 2000, even 5- or 10000 comments. It's a pain to load that many comments. Multiply has introduced paged comments. This means that instead of loading all the comments in someone's guestbook to reply to one of their comments, you can load only one page.

Ultimately, I think Multiply made some great decisions regarding what they did and how they did it. Granted, there still are some bugs floating around out there, and if you have a problem with one of those, I suggest you report it to Customer Service pronto.

If you have any suggestions regarding who can post to what modules here in humble Refugees, please do not hesitate to send me a PM.

-Ze Baron
Group Admin


No comments: