Wednesday, November 21, 2007

LURKING

I don't know if any of you guys noticed, but when you go to a page, the owner of that page can see who all came to that page. They get a history, complete with headshots and hyperlinks. While this is typically benign -- I see that a bunch of people read this blog and didn't comment, or that or whatever. I suppose it's a harmless feature. The difference is that on 360 you could lurk with no consequence.

Some days when I'm out scoping people out, without commenting (I don't do it often,) I'll get a "Thanks for coming by my page" or a "You came by my page but were pretty quiet" comment. I HATE that with a passion and a fury!! If I wanted them to know that I came to their page, I'd've bloody said something! Sometimes I'm just getting music, sometimes I'm scoping out members of Refugees to see their pages, etc... it just drives me nuts. I don't care if they see that I've been there, but don't thank me for coming when all I did was look at the page.

Today I got the most rude invite... they said (paraphrase) "You came to my page for a download... at least you could invite" or something like that. I know for a fact that, unless they changed their music sections, I did not go to their page!

This really, really, really drives me bonkers. I don't hunt down every passer-by who stops in for a read. I don't think anyone should... it's almost like disrespecting people's privacy.

I think I've officially found my Multiply pet peeve.

-Ze Baron

No comments: