Monday, December 3, 2007

Suggestion -- Groups Features

Granted, I haven't been a Multiply for very long (under 50 days) but I've really been thrown into the mosh pit because of how Y!360 Refugees took off. I don't know how the other group admins feel about what I'm about to suggest, but I know it would help me in so many ways. In no particular order:

  • Folders in the links section. In Refugees, I thought of having a folder for reputable groups with good information, a folder for theme groups, and various other things. It would help organize things immensly.
  • The ability to ban people from a group (block.)
  • The ability to restric access to certain features (blogs, links, etc) for only mods.
  • A second, lower tier of mods that can be appointed that would have powers such as delete and possibly customize the theme, but without powers like appoint other mods (or demote current ones) and delete the group.
And while I'm talking about second-tier mods, a "fan" feature would be good here on Multiply. The beauty of Multiply is that it is really community oriented. A lot of people like to get to know people before they accept. On Y!360, there was a feature called "Favorites." If I liked someone's material, I would put them in my favorites. I would receive updates on their content, I would have a link to their page (only viewable to me) and they would not be notified. That way, I could check out their page and get to know them (and have easy access to their page instead of having to find them.) The key feature is that this "fan" feature is that it's very flexible, ie, you can add it and remove it with ease. Secondly, the person who is being added as a fan is not notified.

If I haven't made it clear yet, let me explain in a metaphor. I am a Frank Sinatra fan. Let's pretend he's alive. I listen to Frank Sinatra's music and I have his CDs. I might know when he was born, if he lives in Beverly Hills, and some other stuff. Frank Sinatra does not know me.

I get the content (the CDs or the blogs), I get to know about them (learning about him or reading and commenting on blogs), all anonymously. But I still have the connection.

While this doesn't all pertain to Groups, the Groups features would be most handy to all us admin. The "fan" feature would improve the Multiply community. That's my two cents.

-Ze Baron

No comments: